Area: 26.3 square miles
Population : 2,100
Government: Selectmen, Town meeting
Roxbury, whose Indian name was "Shepaug", a Mohegan name signifiying "rocky water", was settled about the year 1713. Roxbury's hub extends roughly a quarter-mile in several directions from the grassy triangle known as the Town Green, where the American flag is raised daily and important upcoming events (cultural as well as local government) are called to residents' attention on discreet signboards.
Everyone who lives in town probably passes by here at least once a week, heading to the post office or perhaps the town hall complex, and the new Minor Memorial Library . The town's former library has recently been opened as a historical museum. The approach to this residential town center is mainly along routes that traverse heavily wooded hills, which open up onto broad vistas of
Roxbury seems to be another tucked-away town, but the recent restoration of its historic edifices and new building projects reflect the community-mindedness of its residents. The Roxbury Land Trust works to ensure that significant tracts of land are preserved for posterity, including several natural preserves and an area known as Mine Hill, which reflects the town's mining history. Mine Hill and its minerals have been associated with Roxbury since the middle of the 18th Century.
Roxbury is one of the three towns in the Region12 school district. Its students are educated kindergarten through eighth grade at the Booth Free School and then proceed to Shepaug Valley Middle High School in Washington