Area: 38.7 square miles
Population : 3,645
Government: Selectmen, Town meeting
Washington is a largely residential town with some of the most wonderful period homes around. New York City architect Ehrick K Rossiter designed more than two dozen homes in the area in the late 19th century. What drew folks to area was the railroad – although the service and the tracks are long gone, vestiges remain. The Depot area, dominated by the stately brick Bryan Memorial Town Hall, is the town’s primary commercial district and is where the Washington Art Association is housed.
Buildings in the village have been revitalized; house antiques and specialty shops as well
The eastern section of what is now Washington was settled by Joseph Hurlbut in 1734 and was known as the Parish of Judea and belonged to Woodbury. The western section was known as the Parish of New Preston and belonged to New Milford. The present town was incorporated in 1779, being named in honor of General George Washington, who traveled through the area several times during wartime. For many years, Washington was principally a farming community. Among early local industries were ironworks and quarries as well as small mills and factories run by waterpower along the Shepaug and Aspetuck Rivers.
Washington is home to three private schools: Rumsey Hall grades K-9, the Washington Montessori, a day school through grade 8. The Devereux Glenholme School is a specialized boarding school for children in grades K-12 with learning or behavioral difficulties.
The Public schools are a part of Region 12. consisting of Washington Primary School. and Shepaug Valley Middle High School.